If you’re discouraged and afraid about what’s happening in your relationship, you’re not alone. Learning how to manage conflict, growing closer and improving your communication is possible. As one of the few Certified Gottman Therapists in the area, I want to give you the tools and skills you need, before it’s too late.
Dave is a very compassionate and empathetic therapist who has been able to work with me and my husband in very constructive and practical ways.”
The Gottman Method is the best move toward improving your relationship. Statistics show that couples typically wait six years after problems start before getting professional help for their relationship. By then, they’re often so resentful and worn down that getting back on track seems almost impossible.
Drawn from Dr. John Gottman’s four decades of research with over 3,000 couples, Gottman Method Couples Therapy can help you rebuild or increases the friendship, intimacy and respect in your relationship.
The Gottman’s lab and fieldwork revealed exactly what separates the “masters” of relationships from the “disasters.” That research enabled The Gottman Institute to build a program that teaches everything we’ve learned about creating the kind of partnership we all hope for.
What Skills Will We Learn?
You and your partner will learn how to foster respect, affection, and closeness in your relationship.
You will build and share a deeper connection with each other.
You’ll learn how to keep conflict discussions calm, how to break through gridlocked conflict and how to strengthen and maintain the gains in your relationship.
In addition, you will learn:
- How to build the friendship in your relationship and express feelings of respect and affection.
- The tools to manage conflict and communicate effectively.
- Recognize the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and what to do if they are attacking your relationship.
- Identify your relationship’s specific strengths and how to build on them together.
How to Prepare for Couples Therapy
These four resources will significantly help you prepare for your first couples session. It will allow both of you to more accurately describe what is and is not working in your relationship:
- What actually makes a relationship last (10 min)
- What guarantees a failed relationship? (10 min)
- The best way to improve your relationship (10 min)
- The Secrets to Love (PDF)
Additional Hint: If you suspect that you have a difficult partner that won’t “grow up”, you should probably also take the Peter Pan Syndrome questionnaire.